Assistant Technical Director
Assistant Technical Director
Under the supervision of the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director is responsible for assisting the overall technical operation for the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. The Assistant Technical Director will assist with the complete production process which includes reviewing contracts and technical riders,assisting with load ins, load outs, rehearsals, and productions, updating production calendar and stage managing during shows. When not in production, this position will help to maintain the Weis Center's technical equipment inventory, assist the Technical Director with scheduling of the student technical staff, and maintain a clean and organized backstage area. This position supports the Executive Director's vision for the Center and Bucknell University's commitment to artistic excellence by maintaining a high level of professionalism. The Assistant Technical Director will provide professional technical support for performances and engagements by university departments and other campus and non-campus users held at the Weis Center. Venue production support is primarily for the Weis Center for the Performing Arts and other departments who use the Weis Center as a venue. When appropriate, this position may serve as the primary audio, lighting, video engineer, or crew chief for Weis Center events. The responsibilities of this position necessitate a flexible schedule and occasional long hours during periods of peak activity. The successful candidate must demonstrate an ability to contribute to Bucknell's commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• In coordination with the Technical Director, produce and maintain production and rehearsal calendars for events and organize technical needs of engagements through all phases of the production process including preparation, load-in, load-out, rehearsals, stage management, and productions.
• In coordination with the Technical Director, oversee load-in, load-out, rehearsals, and productions, and perform appropriate stage manager duties for performances.
• Help train, mentor, and supervise student production staff, as well as on-call, casual technicians, and contractors.
• Consult with the Technical Director in reviewing contracts, technical riders, and backline needs.
• Consult with ensemble directors and facility users to determine technical requirements and appropriate levels of support for scheduled events and performances.
• Assist with the maintenance, repair, and replacement of production equipment in the Weis Center inventory. This includes but is not limited to microphones, speaker cabinets, audio and lighting consoles, lighting fixtures, cables, risers, soft goods, rigging, and other production equipment.
• Establish and maintain effective working professional relationships with all co-workers, Bucknell campus faculty and staff, tour managers and visiting artists, vendors and production staff from regional and peer venues, as well as the Weis Center student work force.
• Maintain an organized work and storage environment in all backstage areas and rehearsal rooms.
• In coordination with the Technical Director, research, recommend, prioritize and facilitate technical equipment purchases and upgrades.
• Help to secure rental equipment as needed including pickup and returns (valid driver’s license required).
• Additional duties as assigned.
• An associate's degree or higher in a relevant field such as music technology or technical theatre plus at least 2 years of relevant professional experience in all areas of production including audio, lighting, video.
• Training and experience in current performing arts center technologies such as audio, lighting, video, and stage management.
• Ability to adapt and innovate to help keep the Weis Center a first-rate performing arts venue.
• Ability to multitask, managing several projects at once while meeting required deadlines and project milestones.
• Capacity to be adaptable and flexible in the face of change or conflicting priorities while maintaining professionalism and the interests of the Weis Center.
• Ability to anticipate challenges, and exercise independent judgment in making day-to-day decisions with minimal supervision.
• Knowledge of how to read and interpret stage and lighting plots.
• Knowledge of CAD drafting programs, primarily Vectorworks.
• Ability to maintain an accurate inventory of production equipment.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a high degree of professionalism with culturally-diverse groups.
• Must have a strong work ethic and be able to work collaboratively as part of a team and take the initiative to work independently when needed.
• A valid driver’s license and the ability to drive university vehicles.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Experience with the maintenance of musical instruments.
• Strong soldering and simple electronics repair skills.
This is a full-time, 30-hour per week, non-exempt, benefits eligible position.
Link to post: https://jobs.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496956/assistant-technical-director
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Associate Degree
Job Function : ""
Organization : Weis Center for the Performing Arts
Send information to : https://jobs.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496956/assistant-technical-director